The BBC has unveiled the long awaited BBC Store: a new digital service that makes it easy for audiences to buy, enjoy and keep their favourite BBC programmes. And the best news of all is that it’s officially open right now!
A large collection of titles across genres are available at launch, featuring recently broadcast shows, television favourites and best of all – lost gems from the BBC archive.
BBC Store will work in tandem with the company’s longstanding iPlayer service – with a new My Programmes area allowing full playback.
iPlayer itself will continue to offer the same range of programmes to watch live, catch up on and download for up to 30 days for free, while the Store collection will continue to build each day. In fact, many BBC programmes will be made available to buy on BBC Store the day after transmission including, for the first time, serial dramas such as EastEnders and Holby City.
As an introductory offer to celebrate the launch of this new service and to get collections started, anyone registering with BBC Store will be eligible for a 25% discount on their first purchase. Audiences can buy programmes using a UK registered credit or debit card, and gift cards will be available to buy on the high street and in supermarkets in the coming weeks.
But what you really want to know is what TVO related goodies will be available from launch. Confirmed so far are the following classics and recent favourites:
- The Detectorists – written, directed by & starring Mackenzie Crook and featuring Simon Farnaby
- Doctor Who – The biggest sci-fi show in the land, with a cavalcade of TVO guest stars over the years. It’s various spin-off series will also be made available.
- The Fast Show – Charlie Higson and Paul Whitehouse’s seminal sketch show phenomenon featuring Simon Day, Mark Williams, Arabella Weir, John Thomson and Caroline Aherne alongside Felix Dexter, Colin MacFarlane, Rhys Thomas and Tony Way
- Horrible Histories – Education has never been so much fun, as the wickedly entertaining show featuring Simon Farnaby, Alice Lowe, Katy Wix and many more makes a welcome reappearance.
- Human Remains – The little seen anthology series featuring Julia Davis and Rob Brydon as a string of darkly comic creations.
- Knowing Me, Knowing You // I’m Alan Partridge – Steve Coogan‘s masterful creation in three dynamite series of cringeworthy faux pas in the name of CHAT.
- The League of Gentlemen – The show that launched the careers of Reece Shearsmith, Mark Gatiss and Steve Pemberton, and pioneered a darker and cinematic side to alternative comedy on television.
- The Thick of It – The now infamous political comedy from Armando Iannucci starring Peter Capaldi and Chris Addison alongside Alex MacQueen, Rebecca Front, Justin Edwards and many more.
Plus a few other legendary shows with looser TVO connections:
- Absolutely Fabulous – The recent specials featured Lucy Montgomery
- Blackadder – Which featured an early appearance by Geoffrey McGivern in Series Three
- Gavin and Stacey – Featuring a recurring role for Julia Davis
- Live at the Apollo – Featuring several TVO guests over the years
- The Office – Look out for Matt Holness in several episodes!
- Sherlock – Featuring appearances by Alice Lowe and Tony Way
- The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer – Arguably the finest sketch show of the 90s – and look out for a young Matt Lucas!
There’s also promise of a Steve Coogan collection (which may include the Paul Calf Video Diaries, Coogan’s Run and various other assorted classics).
And that’s just the start of it. We’ll give you a full run-down of everything that’s in the store as soon as we can. Until then – we suggest you head on over to BBC Store right now, and start digging!